Cricket is an all-inclusive gentleman’s sport and is seen as one of the most revered games played in the world. Cricket is regarded as one of the most-watched games, possibly second only to football. We present to you some of the latest sports news across the globe, which took place this week.
The latest cricket news
- Twenty-seven players have been retained by their franchises before their Indian Premier League mega auctions. It is expected to have ten teams compete to attract the top cricketers. Here’s the complete list of players who were retained:
- Chennai Super Kings: Moeen Ali (Rs 8 cr), MS Dhoni (Rs 12 cr), Ravindra Jadeja (Rs 16 crores), Ruturaj Gaikwad (Rs 6 cr). The rest of the purse for CSK is 48 crores.
- Royal Challengers Bangalore: Virat Kohli (Rs 15 cr), Glenn Maxwell (Rs 11 cr), and Mohammed Siraj (Rs 7cr). The remaining purse for RCB is 57 crores.
- Punjab Kings Arshdeep Singh (Rs 4 cr), Mayank Agarwal (Rs 12 Cr to be removed from the purse). The amount left for PBKS is Rs 72 crores.
- Rajasthan Royals: Sanju Samson (Rs 14 crore), Jos Buttler (Rs 10 cr), Yashasvi Jaiswal (Rs 4cr). Rest of the RR’s purse: 52 crores
- Sunrisers Hyderabad: Umran Malik (Rs 4 cr), Kane Williamson (Rs 14 cr), and Abdul Samad (Rs 4 cr). The rest of the purse for SRH is Rs sixty-eight crores.
- Delhi Capitals Rishabh Pant (Rs 16 cr), Axar Patel (Rs 9 cr to 12-crores to be removed out of the purse), Prithvi Shaw (Rs 7.5- 8 cr, to be taken from purse), Anrich Nortje (Rs 6.5 cr). Purse left for DC the Capitals: 47.5 crores.
- Kolkata Knight Riders: Varun Chakravarthy (8 crores to 12 crores to be taken out of the purse), Andre Russell (12 crores to 16 crores to be taken from the purse), Venkatesh Iyer (8 crores), Sunil Narine (6 crores). Purse left for KKR: Rs 48 crores.
- Mumbai Indians: Rohit Sharma (Rs 16 cr), Jasprit Bumrah (Rs 12 cr), Suryakumar Yadav (Rs 8 cr), Kieron Pollard (Rs 6 cr). Mumbai Indians’ remaining purse is 48 crores.
- Andy Flower steps down from the coaching position at Punjab Kings. A former Zimbabwe captain, Flower was an assistant coach for Punjab Kings in the 2021 season. He is likely to accept an assistant coach position in one of the two teams that will play for Lucknow and Ahmedabad.
- Klusener quits as the coach for Afghanistan’s national cricket team. Klusener took over as Afghanistan head coach after Andy Moles, who was acting in an interim capacity following the departure of Phil Simmons following the 2019 World Cup.
- Stafanie Taylor, as well as Hayley Matthews, has made it to the top ten of the MRF Tyres Women’s ODI of the ICC All-rounder and batting rankings, as No.8 as well as No. 4, respectively.
- Essex County Cricket Club announced that Alastair Cook will be retained. He has signed an extension of his contract with Essex as Head Coach for two years.
- Rohit Sharma(5th ), Virat Kohli (6th ) as well as Ravichandran Ashwin (2nd ) were able to keep their spots, while pacer Jasprit Bumrah fell one spot to 10th place on the ICC Test Rankings.
- BCCI has put team selections to the South Africa tour on hold due to the new virus variant Omicron. As uncertainty continues to loom large about travel restrictions around the world, the BCCI has decided it is prudent to hold off on announcing the Indian squad for the coming tour.
- After being bundled for 204 in their first innings, spinner Ramesh Mendis brought the hosts back into the game on Day 3. The Sri Lankan team fought back in Galle. Mendis led the team with six wickets to dismiss the West Indies batters, but the hosts fell short when they returned to bat in the second Test on Wednesday.
These were some of the most recent cricket news from across the globe. Stay up-to-date with the latest cricket news and cutting-edge technologies being used in it, a detailed analysis of the matches, series previews or player interviews, and much more.