It’s no secret that cars have slowly become increasingly advanced over the last few decades. In the past, features like electric windows and cassette players were considered luxuries, but most motors come with far more technology as standard than this in the modern age. Of course, this makes sense, as techy products are always getting cheaper, and car manufacturers are competing to release vehicles with the best features.
For those who have an older car, though, it can feel as though you’re missing out on many of the techy options that come with machines that are fresh off of the assembly line. To help you to change this with your own car, this article will be exploring some of the best ways to modify your motor to bring it into the modern age. There are loads of options as you go through this, but it’s worth taking the time to make sure that your car is suitable for the work before you start it.
Entertainment has long been one of the key reasons that people choose to modify their car. Spending a long time on the road makes it well worth having the chance to enjoy entertainment, and there are countless ways to improve this aspect of the car you drive. The way that you do this should be down to your preferences and the way that you use your car, but some examples of the methods that you can use can be found below.
- Stereos: The stereo head unit in your car can be upgraded with ease in most motors, giving you the chance to add things like Bluetooth functionality, digital radios, and even your own personal hotspot. This is a great way to turn your car into an entertainment system on wheels.
- The Speakers: The standard speakers found in most cars have improved a lot over the years, though this is something that you can still easily upgrade. Many cars have kits available from third-party companies to make this as easy as possible. Of course, though, you need to make sure that you also choose an amplifier if you want to have high-powered speakers in your car.
- Screens: While you shouldn’t be looking at a screen when you’re driving, you can fit small screens into the back of your car for your passengers to use. This can be a great way to keep the kids occupied on long journeys.
As you can see, it is quite easy to upgrade the entertainment your car has to offer. It’s always well worth making sure that you know how to add these features to your car before you do it for yourself, though. Many garages and mechanics will be able to do this for you, and this will be worth it to make sure that you don’t make a mistake along the way.
Heads up displays have been on the market for quite a long time, though many drivers haven’t seen this easy modification before. Making it feel like your car is a spaceship that has come from the future, having a HUD can be a fun way to modify your car that won’t require any massive changes or expensive work. There are several ways to approach something like this, though it’s well worth doing some research.
Some of the options you find on the market use your smartphone to project information onto your windscreen. This will include things like speed and maps, though it isn’t really that accurate, especially if you live somewhere with poor GPS reception. Instead, it can be better to look for options that wire directly into the diagnostics socket found beneath your steering wheel. Tools like this can read the exact speed, revs, and other vital information about your car, making them a great choice for anyone looking for a true HUD.
Brakes & Wheels
This next area is often overlooked by drivers. It can be hard to think of the wheels and brakes on your car as being overly techy, though the work that goes into designing them certainly is. Many aftermarket wheels are designed to be incredibly light while retaining the strength of the originals that were found on your car. This can improve your car’s performance by a surprisingly large degree, making it much easier for your engine to drive the wheels that enable your car to move. Ford Falcon wheels are a great example of this, with many of the aftermarket options you find weighing a fraction of the originals thanks to computer-aided design.
Along with your wheels, it can also be worth looking at your brakes when you’re focusing on this part of your motor. Anti-lock braking systems have been around for a very long time, but this sort of principle can be taken further in the modern world. You can have your brakes upgrading with digital sensors that can provide automatic braking when your car is about to encounter a collision. This can be taken even further, though, with some cars having braking systems that can choose the level of braking required to stop a vehicle based on its speed and the terrain being driven on.
Electric cars have taken the auto market by storm over the last couple of years, with companies like Tesla proving that this sort of concept has a place in the modern world. While many people are choosing to buy their electric cars new, though, conversions can be done on just about any car to give it this sort of capability. This idea can come with loads of benefits, and you can find some of these below to show you just how worthwhile this can be.
- Lower Emissions: Being able to make your car more eco-friendly is a great way to improve your environmental impact. Lower emissions will also mean lower taxes in certain countries, too.
- More Power: Electric engines are able to provide all of their power from the moment that you hit the accelerator, rather than having to shift through gears as the engine moves faster and faster. This makes electric cars feel far more powerful, even when they have the same top speed as a conventional motor.
- Free Fuel: Many superstores and car parks are offering free electric car charging nowadays, giving you the chance to fuel up without having to pay the price.
- Cheaper Repairs/Lower Maintenance: It can be incredibly difficult and expensive to keep classic cars on the road, with their engines often needing to have parts made for them. Converting to an electric engine can solve this issue entirely.
Converting your car to be an electric one isn’t the cheapest modification you can make, but it will certainly be one of the most impactful. Options like this have grown in popularity by a huge degree over the last few years, giving you the chance to enjoy a car that doesn’t hurt the planet anywhere near as much as those using fossil fuels.
With all of this in mind, you should be feeling ready to take on the challenge of modifying your car to bring it into the future. There are loads of ways to approach something like this, giving you the chance to enjoy a modern vehicle without having to buy a new one. If more people were to take this sort of approach, the impact of car manufacturing would be reduced by a huge degree.