Python is continuously one of the best-known and most widely used programming languages. A 2022 study conducted by StackOverflow and aimed at developers showed that Python is not only the most popular among beginners, but is also one of the most desired technologies overall. So can we conclude that it is the right technology for developing any software? Both yes and no. In the following article, we will analyze the advantages and disadvantages of this remarkable tool.
What is the Python programming language?
First, it is important to understand what Python really is. It is an open and free high-level software language. Guido van Rossum created it in 1991. The Dutch programmer’s inspiration for the name was Monty Python’s Flying Circus, and to this day gags from this famous program often appear in tutorials.
Python was designed to be as easy to pick up as possible. What’s more, almost any computer can implement Python code thanks to the interpreter tool. That is because Python is an interpreted language, meaning it does not require compilation. Changes made by programmers can be seen immediately. A wide range of mobile applications can also be created using Python due to the presence of numerous frameworks and tools (Django, Flask).
Pros and cons of developing in Python
If you want to know whether your project is being developed with the right technology stack – it’s worth analyzing all the pros and cons of using Python.
- The availability of many useful and diverse frameworks makes the process of developing a web application very easy. The most popular is by far Django (for building web applications), Flask (for solutions with lean functionality), and FastAPI (for building APIs efficiently). However, these are not all frameworks – there are many more!
- Python will work great for products with a short time to market. If you need to release a product quickly then Python is the one that will be up to the task thanks to its numerous libraries, ease of language, and an extensive community.
- Today, artificial intelligence and machine learning are having a huge impact on almost every industry. For building AI and ML solutions, it is Python is considered the best tool. With its visualization packages and wide range of tools, it can be said that Python is even favored in the field of learning.
- Thanks to the fact that Python is open source, there are no restrictions on how developers access Python, how they use it, or how they change its environment. Thanks to the lack of restrictions, over the years of Python activity, a very extensive community has been created in which everyone is welcome.
- Python is readily used by both large corporations and startups. It can be used very diversely because it is very readable, well-organized, and easy to understand. The business-level integration that characterizes it is therefore also a much-appreciated aspect that various companies appreciate.
- Python can be used on many different platforms without modifying the code. This is a great convenience, as it can usually be very stressful and time-consuming to change code for execution elsewhere in the programming language.
- Python is not aimed at building mobile applications. Python is designed for server-side use, which means it is never used on the client side. If you care about a mobile app, it’s worth looking into technologies like React Native or Flutter.
- Although Python allows for really fast launch times – in terms of programming time, it can be quite slow. Because it uses a lot of translation techniques, Python is slower than Java, C, C++, and others.
- A potential danger of using Python can be high memory consumption. For demanding applications with many components running in RAM, this can be a real problem.
Where is Python being used?
Python has been wonderfully used in many different fields. The most well-known examples of Python use are such popular platforms as Facebook, Google, and Microsoft, which all work with it. Python is primarily used for web application development and is very popular in the following areas:
Google Cloud, AWS, and DigitalOcean all use Python to create and manage their cloud computing systems. This is because Python is an excellent choice for cloud computing and works well with data due to the increased emphasis on data security in the cloud.
Python has become even more popular in recent years due to the increased interest in data science and artificial intelligence. Python is great for repetitive operations and data processing. It is very beneficial when constructing a digital product based on artificial intelligence and developing data-intensive AI systems. With the Python programming language, programmers can easily handle both structured and unstructured data.
Python has been extremely appreciated by many corporate companies thanks to its extremely powerful solutions for creating websites. What’s more, Python also finds its use in prototyping, which greatly increases the advantage among competitors. Python services are sure to continue to develop, therefore it is worth following the news related to this tool.
Python for unique and advanced applications
Python is definitely one of the fastest-growing technologies in use. To take full advantage of its potential, when developing software, you should use a company that is familiar with the latest technologies and has extensive experience with the tool. Applover, thanks to the knowledge of the Python software development process, can create a completely new product or improve an existing one, and we are happy to take on any challenge.