A new solution dominates the access control industry – mobile access credentials for commercial access control.
Access control is the foundation of any commercial or residential property’s security strategy. Here we will discuss what mobile-first access control is, along with the benefits and ROI it can grant both businesses and property managers.
What Is Mobile First Access Control?
Mobile-first access control is an adaptation of cloud-based access control that replaces keycards and fobs with mobile credentials. Keycards and fobs help to reduce the potential for lockpicking and forced entry but do present some disadvantages:
- With keycards and fobs, users can easily misplace their credentials. The property manager must then fund the replacement of these components.
- Onboarding becomes slower while users wait for a new keycard or fob to be created, causing inconvenience for their daily building use.
For the above reasons, many businesses and landlords are switching out keycards and fobs for mobile credentials. With mobile credentials, users can simply download and store a digital access card on their device. This feature also makes onboarding easier.
Regarding entry with mobile-first access control, users can enter contactless by waving their hand over the access control’s motion sensors.
Once they have waved their hand over the reader, they will begin communicating with their mobile device remotely to unlock the door. This entry method presents the following benefits for daily building use:
- Hygiene – when users can enter without pressing a button or pin pad, this means they can avoid touching commonly-used surfaces that encourage the spread of germs. In light of the recent pandemic, hygiene is an essential consideration in security practices.
- Convenience – this entry method speeds up the traffic flow in your building by allowing users to enter without withdrawing their devices. All they need to do is wave their hand, and they do not need to rummage in their backpacks and pockets to find their phones – which will slow them down.
- First-time entry – the reader uses a triple communication method (WiFi, Bluetooth, cellular) to ensure no failed entry attempts. The user can enter on their first try without causing a queue at your building’s entrance.
- Remote entry – opting for an office building intercom system allows the user to contact security staff via the device, who will be able to remotely unlock the door for them should they forget their entry device.
For the above reasons, cloud-based and mobile-first access control is taking the security sphere by storm. Property managers, landlords, and business owners consider this security technology necessary.
Integrations For Mobile Access Control
In addition to providing hygienic, convenient, and agile security, mobile access control also provides the benefit of open API integrations. With open API integrations, businesses, and property managers can ensure they achieve excellent ROI on their security hardware investments.
Integrations for cloud-based access control can automate time-consuming processes, increase security, and reduce manual processes within your building operations. Below is a list of some top integrations for mobile-first access control.
Visitor Management Software
Visitor management systems are an essential element in a building’s security operations. Here are some examples of why accurate and reliable visitor records are necessary for building security:
- If a crime or property damage occurs on the premises, you must know who has accessed the building to identify potential perpetrators. This evidence will help you to conduct a police investigation and find the responsible party for any insurance claim.
- If a fire or emergency occurs on the premises, you must evacuate building residents and occupants. To ensure that you evacuate all individuals from the building, you will need an accurate and reliable list of who is inside.
For the above reasons, businesses and property managers should avoid considering visitor management when planning their security strategies. Visitor management software allows companies to prioritize visitor management without it coming at the expense of time or manual effort. Instead of hiring additional security staff, property managers are implementing visitor management software. The software integrates with access control, providing visitors with registration forms upon entry.
Upon filling out these forms, visitors gain temporary access credentials to enter the building. The system will revoke these credentials when they leave. By automating this process with digital systems, you can reduce the margin for human error and ensure you have clear-cut accurate visitor logs.
Wellness Verification Software
As discussed earlier, the pandemic highlighted a need for property managers and businesses to prioritize health and safety in their security operations. Wellness verification software is an integration for access control designed to provide wellness surveys for building users.
By automating this process, you can prevent an outbreak of coronavirus on the premises – which would significantly impact productivity in a business environment – without investing in additional staff. The software provides users with symptom surveys upon entry. The establishment can identify symptomatic individuals and advise them based on their coronavirus policies. This software allows for custom surveys and makes for an excellent HR tool – providing employees with surveys to fill out based on their mental health and job satisfaction.
Mobile-first access control is an increasingly popular solution for businesses and residential properties. By implementing mobile credentials, you can ensure more hygiene, convenience, and lower costs for daily security processes. And, with mobile access control, you can integrate tools that expand the function of your security hardware – helping you to maximize returns on your security hardware investments.