Canadian educational programs have long gained popularity in the global education market. They surprisingly combine the practicality of North America and the traditions of Europe. Canada is also known for its high level of education. Every year more and more foreign schoolchildren choose to study in Canada.
Toronto is the largest city in Canada, which is a well–known educational centre. This city is the largest economic and industrial centre. It is considered the fourth in the world in terms of living standards. Also, this city is famous for its history, a large number of attractions and museums, as well as cafes, restaurants, shops and much more, which will allow students to get an unforgettable learning experience.
Advantages of studying in the best high schools in Toronto
- Low (compared to other English–speaking countries – Great Britain, USA, Switzerland) tuition fees. Also, the cost of living is almost two times lower compared to America.
- Value for money. A small number of high schools gives them exclusivity. Despite this, high schools in Toronto are often better equipped than English and even American schools.
- Canada is a multinational country, which will allow a foreign student to feel comfortable, because it is difficult to surprise with an accent or ignorance of some words here.
- Most high schools in Toronto have an excellent reputation and a high level of teaching, which allows students to easily enrol in prestigious universities around the world.
- High standard of living, history and a large number of attractions and museums will help students to learn more about the history of the country.
- The opportunity to gain practical experience – the so-called Co-op course. In this case, the student can work a year in the specialty instead of classroom hours.
- The opportunity to stay working in the country after graduation. According to statistics, about 90% of students find jobs in the first 6 months after graduation.
International schools in Toronto – studying after 8, 9, 10, 11 grades
The Toronto education system has 12 classes, just like the American one. Foreign students who have completed grade 8 or 9 at home can enrol in grade 9 or 10 of a Canadian school, respectively. There are a huge number of programs for foreign students, which usually include intensive study of English. For schoolchildren who know the language at a sufficient level, there is an opportunity to study in a full-fledged program on a par with Canadian students. In this case, after completing the studying, the teenager receives a certificate of full secondary education.
Foreign students who have graduated from the 10th grade in native country can enrol in the
11th grade in Toronto schools and complete the last 2 years of one of the programs:
- IB Diploma is an international program aimed at obtaining and improving the knowledge and skills necessary for admission to the university. This course is aimed at comprehensive development: intellectual, creative, athletic and moral development of the individual, designed to help not only when entering the university, but also when adapting to the modern business environment.
- Advanced placement is a program designed to prepare students for university admission. The duration of the course is two years (11th-12th grade of high school). A specific feature of this program is the ability to choose the subjects studied in accordance with the interests or needs of the student.
TOP high schools in Toronto – ranking of 10
- St Michael Choir (Sr) School
- Cardinal Carter Academy for the Arts
- Ursula Franklin Academy
- Rosedale Heights School of the Arts
- Etobicoke School of the Arts
- Lawrence Park Collegiate Institute
- North Toronto Collegiate Institute
- York Mills Collegiate Institute
- Humberside Collegiate Institute
- Delphi Secondary Alternative School.
High schools in Toronto fees for foreign students
The prices for tuition at a high school in Toronto are pleasantly different from similar programs in the USA or Europe. The average cost is about 50,000 Canadian dollars per year. The amount usually includes all expenses related to tuition and accommodation.
Enrolment process in schools in Toronto for foreign students
Many private schools accept new students not only in September, but also in the middle of the year. To enrol in a Toronto school, the international students need:
- Decide on an educational institution.
- Fill out an application form and pay a fee for its consideration (approximately $ 200).
- Take a test for the level of academic knowledge: SSAT (Secondary School Admission Test) or CAT (Canadian Achievement Tests). Some schools may also ask you to write an essay or take an internal exam.
- Take a foreign language proficiency test: IELTS or TOEFL. In the event that the student will study in French – DALF.
- Report cards for the last 2 years.
- Get an interview with a school representative (usually via Skype).
- Pass a medical examination.
Applications are accepted, as a rule, all year round. But it is better to clarify the conditions in a particular educational institution. Do not forget to take into account the time for obtaining a visa – it is highly not recommended to be late for the start of school.