This article will take you through what is Selenium and its salient features.
With the rising demand for software-related items, each software development community needs to conduct several tests before releasing the final product to the market.
Although test engineers attempt to detect errors or bugs before the software package is released, the delivered software frequently contains flaws. Even with the most stringent manual verification techniques, there’s still a chance that the final software package may include a fault or will be unable to meet the user’s needs.
Do you know what is Selenium? Selenium Automation Testing is a process that utilizes advanced resources to generate successful outcomes with no human involvement. The tools can access test data, control interactions with the existing system, and help you automate the process of testing.
What is Selenium?
Selenium is a portable framework and an open-source tool used to automate web browser testing. It is solely used to test online apps such as shopping carts and email clients like Gmail and Yahoo.
Selenium testing is a term used to describe testing performed with Selenium.
Selenium is more than just a single tool; it is a collection of software, each with its own set of testing scenarios.
Features of Selenium
After understanding what is Selenium, let us also look at some of its key features:
Open-source: Selenium is open-source and portable is a significant advantage. Selenium is available for download on its website.
Variety of Operating system: Selenium web driver scripts may run on various operating systems, including Linux, MAC, and Chrome.
Simple Commands: The commands in Selenium are relatively simple to use. It is simple to learn.
No need for installing a server: It is not necessary to install a server. Because Selenium Web Driver communicates directly with the browser, there is no need to install a server.
Supports various browsers: Selenium supports a variety of browsers, including Google Chrome, Safari, Firefox, Opera, and others. Simple instructions may be used to launch any browser.
Support for Multiple Programming Languages: Selenium supports a variety of programming languages for developing test scripts. Java, Python, “C#”, Perl, and more programming languages are included.
Momentum (speed) and execution: Because Selenium communicates directly with the browser, there is no need for an intermediary server.
Simple to implement: Web components are simple to identify and utilize because of Webdriver’s locators, which aid in the discovery of online elements in web applications. This benefit is simple for testers to implement.
The following are some other key features:-
- Selenium may also be used to automate a variety of testing tasks. Unit testing, regression testing, and web automation testing are a few examples.
- It is commonly used in the field of web development.
- When compared to other automation tools, Selenium Automation Tool requires extremely few tools.
- With testing frameworks, Selenium may be desegregated.
- Parallel test execution is also encouraged since it saves time and improves test efficiency.
- Selenium may be used to combine pipelines like Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- Selenium commands are categorized within different classes. This makes it easier to understand and implement each one individually.
- Selenium Tool is known for its high execution.
- Robust, flexible, and extensible framework and support in test automation. Run tests in diverse sets of domains and all the web applications.
- To achieve continuous testing, selenium can be integrated with Jenkins, Docker, Ant, and Maven.
- Selenium is great because it allows testers to create more complicated testing scenarios and test conditions than other platforms.
Selenium is a free, open-source browser and operating system that supports almost every type of programming language. With it, testers can quickly develop fully functional automation tests.
Compared to other automated testing solutions, the Selenium testing tool provides a number of advantages. Selenium outperforms other testing technologies in the following areas:
- Cost: Selenium is free of cost as it is an open-source testing technology.
- Testing in parallel: The tester can run test scripts on many machines simultaneously.
- Selenium enables test scripts written in a variety of languages and execution on a variety of browsers and operating systems.
To sum up, Selenium’s three key characteristics, as well as its other components, have made it one of the top automated testing tools.