Edward Abel Smith is a former English businessman. He garnered media attention after he entered into a marriage with English actress, Kate Winslet.
Edward Layulph Abel Smith was born on 1 January 1978 (age 45 years; as of 2023) in the United States. There is not much information about Smith’s education. Nevertheless, many media sources reported that he matriculated in 1996 and obtained a Bachelor’s degree in 2000.
Brought up in a wealthy family, his family founded Smith’s Bank of Nottingham. Meanwhile, his father, Robert Ralph Abel Smith, was a businessman. Additionally, his mother’s name is Linette J. Branson.
His maternal uncle, Richard Branson, is a multi-billionaire and the owner of the Virgin Group. Smith grew up with his cousins, Holly Branson, Sam Branson, and Clare Sarah Branson.
- Soon after completing his formal education, Edward started working at his uncle’s company, Virgin Galactic.
- He also works as the Head of Marketing of the Astronaut Experience Program in the space flight division. Meanwhile, the company was founded by his uncle Richard and Nik Powell in 1970.
- Following his marriage with Kate Winslet, he became a stay-at-home dad. In a media interaction Kate explained, He looks after us, especially me. I said to him earlier, like, ‘Neddy, could you do something for me?’ He just went, ‘Anything.”
- Initially, Edward Abel Smith entered into a marriage with Eliza Perason. However, owing to differences, the ex-couple separated only two years after their marriage.
- Soon after, he met Kate at a private holiday venue at Necker Island, the Caribbean. Nevertheless, Kate was dating Louis Dowler at that time.
- At the same time, the venue caught fire and in between the tragedy, Kate interacted with Edward, according to sources.
- They fell for each other during their first interaction and eventually started dating each other.
- Meanwhile the couple got engaged in 2012. Not only this, but they exchanged vows the same year.
- In 2013, the couple was blessed with a baby boy, Bear Blaze Winslet. Moreover, his wife, Kate Winslet, already had children from previous marriages, daughter Mia Honey from her first husband, Jim Threaplaton, and Joe Alfae from Sam Mendes.
Do You Know These Lesser Known Facts About Edward Abel Smith?
- Edward follows a Vegan diet.
- In a media interaction, his wife, Kate Winslet revealed that he is suffering from dyslexia. Nevertheless, he still helps her run lines for her scripted projects. Kate said, “I’m so, so, so lucky. For a man who is severely dyslexic, as he is, he’s great at testing me on lines. It’s so hard for him to read out loud, but he still does it.” Her sentiments echoed what she told WSJ. Magazine about her husband in 2015. “Thank God for Ned — really,”
- Before meeting Kate, his name was Ned Rocknroll. However, after the birth of their son, Bear Blaze Winslet, he decided to go back to his birth name. That is Edward Abel Smith.
- Kate was never keen on taking Edward’s surname. However, Edward took “Winslet” as his middle name. Kate mentioned the reason behind this and said, He added ‘Winslet’ as one of his middle names, just simply because the children have Winslet. When we’re all travelling together, to all have that name on the passport makes life easier.”