News

Kenan Thompson Opens Up About ‘Quiet on Set’ Controversy

Kenan Thompson Opens Up About 'Quiet on Set' Controversy
Image: NBC

Amid numerous responses to the controversial docuseries Quiet on Set: The Dark Side of Kids TV, Saturday Night Live’s Kenan Thompson has added something more.

The docuseries alleges assault and abuse on the sets of Nickelodeon. Thompson has previously worked on some shows for the network, such as Kenan & Kel and All That. Having gained fame from these projects, Thompson has come to support those who have been the victims of abuse, as revealed in the docuseries.

While speaking on the Tamron Hall Show, Kenan was asked about the controversial docuseries. 

Video by Tamron Hall Show

Quiet on Set highlights the abuse on the sets of children’s shows that were popular in the late 1990s and early 2000s.

Responding to the question, the comedian-actor said,

It’s a tough subject because, it’s tough for me because I can’t really speak on things that I’ve never witnessed.

He clarified that all the incidents happened after his tenure at Nickelodeon and that his interaction with assault-accused director Dan Schneider was very less.

Thompson said,

You know what I’m saying? Because all these things happened after I left, basically, and Dan [Schneider] wasn’t really on Kenan & Kel like that. I mean, he got a ‘created by’ credit, but it was a different showrunner.

So our worlds weren’t really overlapping outside of All That, necessarily. And then all that negativity kind of started happening outside of our tenure there,

The show’s host, Tamron Hall, mentioned that they tried contacting Dan Schneider’s team but only got an apology-filled video on YouTube. Further, she also said that Nickelodeon has also promised to investigate all the allegations properly.

Video by DanWrap

In response, Thompson said,

Well, investigate more! I mean because it’s like, it’s supposed to be a safe place you know? It’s supposed to be a safe place for kids and to hear all about that it’s just like, ‘How dare you?’

Meanwhile, talking about his stand on the assaults, the 45-year-old star said,

I wasn’t really aware of a lot of it, but my heart goes out to anybody that’s been victimized or their families.

About the author

Aditi Raj

Aditi Raj is a media and entertainment enthusiast with a journalism degree and two years of writing experience. Passionate about movies, music, and pop culture, Aditi crafts engaging content that reflects her in-depth industry knowledge. She's a dynamic storyteller who keeps audiences informed and entertained, bringing her unique perspective to the ever-evolving world of media and entertainment.

Add Comment

Click here to post a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *