Many people grow up thinking that they aren’t good at math, when actually, they simply didn’t have the right teachers when they were growing up. It’s unfortunate that many adults say, “I’m not a math person,” when in reality, their teachers didn’t have the energy or patience to really invest in their education.
The fact is that with the right instruction, most people can learn math and succeed. Online math tutors offer personal attention and customized lesson plans so you can learn math, no matter what stage of life you’re at.
Where to Find Online Math Tutors
There are plenty of online math tutors in the sea, but not all of them are as good as they say they are. However, math tutors are vetted and rated by their students, so you know exactly what you’re getting into. If you’re an adult who never mastered basic math skills as a child, you will find many math tutors on the site who can help.
Why Is Math So Hard?
Math is usually a divisive subject—you either love it or hate it. Some people who fall into the latter category hate math because it’s boring. It lacks creativity. In other cases, people hate the subject because it’s hard. After all, if something is hard to understand and to succeed in, who would like it?
While math can indeed be hard, research shows that it’s not an objectively difficult subject. The issue is that students have so many preconceived, subjective notions about it that it becomes almost impossible for them to succeed. A combination of fear, anxiety, peer pressure, and a belief they won’t succeed haunts many students from elementary school all the way through high school. This is what makes math so hard.
However, if you study math without peers surrounding you, without a fear of failure and embarrassment, and with an instructor who focuses solely on you, mastering basic math skills can suddenly become a very possible achievement.
Why Study Math as an Adult?
A survey conducted several years ago showed that nearly one third of Americans lacked basic math skills. That lack translated into a difficulty in making financially smart decisions such as choosing the most cost-effective health care plan, paying off credit card debt, and more.
Basic math skills are the cornerstone of most financially-smart decisions adults need to make. If you didn’t have teachers to help you master these skills as a child, you should find an instructor to help you as soon as you can.
What Are the Benefits of Studying Math with an Online Tutor?
Hiring an online math tutor is a great way to face your fear of math head on and overcome it. You can get a lot out of online tutoring that you wouldn’t get in an adult education course or by studying with local, in-person tutors.
The benefits of learning math with online tutors include:
- Personal attention & customized lessons: In any given year, teachers must complete a certain amount of material and follow a curriculum. Moreover, public school classrooms are often overcrowded, so teachers don’t have time to focus on each student. The pressure prevents teachers from addressing the needs of individual students.
By contrast, it’s the job of an online math tutor to address your individual challenges and goals. This customized approach can give you the confidence you need to succeed in math.
- Affordable lessons: Adult education courses and in-person tutors can be expensive. Online tutors, on the other hand, offer more reasonable rates because there is so much competition among them.
- Free trial sessions: Many tutors on the site offer free trial sessions, so you can see if you and your tutor will hit it off before paying any money.
- Convenience: Tutors online allow you to book sessions at times that work for you, so you don’t have to rearrange your whole schedule.
- Transparency: When you search for tutors, you can read reviews of real-life students, so you know exactly what you’re getting into. You can see how students liked them, and also read about the tutors’ specialities. However, you don’t need to rely on the tutor’s self-promotion alone. Each tutor is given a star rating out of 5, and all tutors on the site are carefully vetted.
Don’t Let Fear Hold You Back from Learning Math
Many people hated math so much as children, they don’t want to face it as adults. But often, the desire to avoid comes from fear. Don’t let your fear of math hold you back. Mastering basic math skills can propel you forward in life and give you the skills you need to succeed in making smart financial decisions. While the going may be tough, the ultimate goal is worth it.