Jim Hanks, popularly known as James Mefford Hanks, is an American actor and filmmaker. He is known for playing the role of Darren Bandel in the American film, A Leading Man. Besides, he is also the voice substitution for the popular Toy Story’s character Woody; primarily voiced by his brother, Tom Hanks.
Early Career and Childhood
Born on June 15, 1961 (age 62 years; as of 2023) in Shasta County, California, United States, Jim’s father Amos Mefford Hanks, was a cook, while his mother’s name, Janet Marylyn, was a hospital worker. Jim’s elder brothers, Tom Hanks is an actor and Larry Hanks is an entomologist. However, they were not raised together owing to their parent’s divorce.
Soon after attending college, Jim Hanks worked as a waiter.
Initially, Jim Hanks moved to Sacramento, where he worked as a waiter. Few years later, his wife’s employer, and agent, inspired Jim to take acting as a career. Owing to which, Hanks joined acting classes to pursue a career in show business.
Hiding his Identity in Audition Tapes
- Soon after attending acting classes, he auditioned for several roles in Hollywood. However, initially, he auditioned as Jim Matthews to hide the fact that he is the brother of Tom Hanks to gain the role by his own ability.
- In 1993, Jim made his acting debut with the film Buford’s Beach Bunnies, wherein he played the lead role of Jeeter Bufford. Although, in the acting audition for the same, producers noticed his resemblance with Tom Hanks, he grabbed the role due to his performance.
- Meanwhile, in 1994, Jim Hanks starred in the film Forrest Gump; wherein he acted as a running double for his brother, Tom Hanks.
- Following this, in the late 90s, Hans starred in supporting roles in many B-grade films including Xtro 3: Watch The Skies, Baby Geniuses, and Inferno.
- Besides appearing in films, Jim has appeared in many television shows including Homefront”, “Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman”, “Sabrina The Teenage Witch”, “JAG”, and his latest appearances in “Scrubs” and “Dexter.”
- Moreover, he was last seen in the children’s television series Goldie and Bear, wherein he played the role of Red’s Father.
- Other than acting, Jim is a voice-over artist. He has voiced Sheriff Woody’s character in the spin-off of the animated series Toy Story.
- Along with Toy Story, he has voiced characters in many series including “Sunset Beach”, also “Robot Chicken”, and “Milo Murphy’s Law.
- Not only this, he has voiced many video games including The Polar Express and Disney Infinity.
- Jim Hanks is also a cinematographer. He has worked in many short films including Real Man Real Issues, Coveting Roses, and Dog Gone Missing.
- Besides he has directed, produced several short films, including “Wish”, “The Floor” and “Hazelnut”, to name a few.
- Moreover, he has directed many television series including I Married Who?
Who is Jim Hanks Married to?
In 1986, Jim Hanks got married to actress Karen E Paxel, who starred in the Tom Hanks directorial debut film “That Thing You Do.” Meanwhile, it seems that the couple is in a happy marriage and has a son named Gage Hanks.
What is the net worth of Jim Hanks?
As of 2023, Jim Hanks has an estimated net worth of $2 million. Besides his work in the entertainment industry majorly contributes to Jim Hanks’ net worth.
Do You Know These Lesser Known Facts about Jim Hanks?
- He is the younger brother of the acclaimed actor, Tom Hanks.
- In 1988, Tom Hanks along with his other family members, featured on the show Family Feud.
- People often confuse Jim Hanks as Tom Hanks owing to his striking resemblance with him. Moreover, Jim’s appearance in a Volvo Tv commercial has left fans wondering whether Tom is facing a financial crunch.
- Tom Hanks is uncle to Colin Hanks, Chet Hanks, Truman Hanks and Elizabeth Hanks.
- In a media interaction, Jim Hanks mentioned how he is getting most of the roles in films. He elaborated, “I know why I’m getting publicity, But it’s not my fault who I’m related to.”
- Although they are the famous brothers, Jim Hanks and Tom Hanks, they haven’t appeared on screen together.